Visit West Somerset Railway - Minehead, West Somerset
Running over 20 miles of line a journey on the West Somerset Railway is a relaxing step back in time and a delightful evocation of the age of the bygone days of travel by steam train.
West Somerset Railway trains run between Bishops Lydeard (four miles from the county town of Taunton) and Minehead, making their way through the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty that is the Quantock Hills and along the Bristol Channel Coast.
Along the way there are various historic sites. Crowcombe Heathfield station is where scenes from the Beatles’ “A Hard Days Night” were filmed whilst the old harbour town of Watchet has a history dating back into Saxon times and still boasts narrow streets, local shops and places to eat and drink as well as two Museums. Alight at Washford station for the walks to Cleeve Abbey and Torre Cider Farm or continue to Dunster station for the medieval village dominated by the Castle but also boasting a working water mill, the old Yarn Market building and the Dolls Museum amongst the attractions. And at Minehead the beach is literally across the road from the station whilst a left turn takes you into the town centre.
The West Somerset Railway also offers many combined packages including the “Dunster Castle Express”, “Abbey and Apple Experience”, “Meet and Greet Days” with children's favourite characters and annual “Days Out With Thomas” weekends.
Railway enthusiasts are catered for by Steam Galas in March and October and a vintage diesel weekend at the start of June whilst each September the line hosts the annual Somerset CAMRA Real Ale and Cider Festival. Seasonal trains runs in December including Santas, Sherry and Mince Pie Specials and Carol Trains.
Information on West Somerset Railway, Steam Railway in Minehead, West Somerset
- Address - The Railway Station Warren Road, Minehead, Somerset, TA24 5BG
- Telephone - 01643 704996
- Email - Click here to email
- Website - Click to visit West Somerset Railway website
- Open all year
- Open from 10:00 till 15:30
- March, April and October - Monday and Friday may have different opening times - please check their website
- Approx length of visit: 3 hours
- Min group size: 16
- Max group size: 150
- Seating Capacity: 85
- Private Dining: Yes
- Accreditation: Good Food Guide 2015
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook. Advanced booking is essential.
- Educational visits accepted
- Guided tours available for groups
- Dogs accepted
- All areas accessible to disabled visitors
- Guide dogs permitted
- Parking areas for disabled visitors
- Ramp / level access
- Toilets for disabled visitors
- On-Site café / restaurant - Station buffet at Minehead, well-stocked buffet cars on steam trains. Special wine and dine trains.
- Picnic site
- Mineral line tour by train and vintage bus - Wednesday 28th October 2015
Parking & transport
- On site parking
- Road directions - Nearest major road is M5. Follow road signs for Minehead ; also brown tourist signs for WSR, on approaching Bishops Lydeard do not go into village. The station is signposted from the by-pass. Also accessible via A39 at Williton (from Bridgwater) and at Minehead (From Lynton).
- Public transport directions - Nearest station is Taunton station. First bus service 28 & 28a link Taunton station & Bishops Lydeard from Monday to Saturday. Services 928 & 300 offer a Sunday link.
- Stay at Hotels in Taunton near the West Somerset Railway