Visit Museum of Somerset - Taunton, Somerset
Set in the heart of Taunton, the Museum of Somerset lies within the 12th Century Taunton Castle and tells the county’s story from prehistoric times to the present day, using real objects, interactive games, eye-catching film projections and the words and voices of Somerset people, past and present.
From an under-floor Plesiosaur, the largest collection of Roman coins ever discovered in Britain and a chilling recreation of the infamous Bloody Assizes – the Museum of Somerset is a must-see visitor attraction, containing objects from across many of the museum’s collections, including geology, archaeology, medieval and ethnography. The museum also houses the Somerset Military Museum.
As well as the permanent galleries, the museum offers regularly changing temporary exhibitions and activities such as family drop-in sessions and ‘talk and tea’ with a curator. There is also a programme of special events, including evening talks, music and outdoor theatre.
Information on Museum of Somerset - Museum in Taunton, Somerset
- Address - Taunton Castle, Castle Green, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 4AA
- Telephone - 01823 255088
- Email - Click here to email
- Website - Click to visit Museum of Somerset website
- Open all year
- Open from 10:00 till 17:00 - last admission 16:30
- Open Tuesday - Saturday and Bank Holiday Mondays
- Free entry
- Approx length of visit: 2 hours
- Min group size: 8
- Max group size: 60
- Accept Children Over 3
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
- Historic, literary or architectural interest
- Groups accepted - Essential to prebook. Notice required for evening visits.
- Educational visits accepted - Regular events, talks and temporary exhibitions. Educational visits welcomed. Guided group tours and private views by arrangement - please contact us for details.
- Guided tours available for groups - Regular events, talks and temporary exhibitions. Educational visits welcomed. Guided group tours and private views by arrangement - please contact us for details.
- Event venue - Venue hire possible – please contact us for details and prices.
- Tea and coffee shop
- Guide dogs permitted
- Parking areas for disabled visitors
- Ramp / level access
- Toilets for disabled visitors
- On-Site café / restaurant - Cafe serving morning coffee, light lunches and afternoon teas using the best of Somerset’s produce. Catering available for guided tours, private views and commercial events - please contact us for details and prices.
- Picnic Site
- Somerset Military Museum at the Museum of Somerset, Taunton, Somerset
Parking & transport
- Parking - charge
- Road directions - Nearest major road is M5 - 2 miles. Follow road signs for Taunton town centre and Museum of Somerset
- Public transport directions - Nearest station is Taunton station
- Stay at Hotels in Taunton near the Museum of Somerset, Taunton